What’s the best recumbent exercise bike?
For some people a recumbent exercise bike is preferable to an upright one, whether that is for practical reasons – because it’s kinder to joints, or you’re recovering from injury – or just because you prefer it and find it more comfortable (and easier to watch tv!).
You can read more about the pros and cons of different types of exercise bike here.
So having decided on a recumbent bike, which one should you get? For comparison, I have selected 6 of the most popular bikes with high review scores (you can see the current star rating by hovering over the model in the carousel above) available from Amazon.
Of course, there is no single best recumbent exercise bike as such. What’s best for you depends on a number of factors, including (but not limited to):
PRICE: What’s your budget?
SPACE: How much space do you have? How much space does the machine take up? Will in remain in place permanently or do you need one which will fold up?
MAX USER WEIGHT: Notwithstanding the limits of your budget, if you’re on the heavy side (and want one to help you lose some weight), it will need to be sturdy enough to take your weight safely. Each machine has a Max. User weight recommendation.
FEATURES: Most decent machines have the same basics but, of course, the more expensive machines have a few more. Some things to look for are:
- Flywheel weight (heavier is better)
- Maximum User Weight
- Number of resistance levels
- Console readout features
So here are some of the best-selling machines on Amazon in different price ranges.
- Max User weight: 110kg Flywheel: 2-way (you can pedal forwards or backwards), 4Kg
- Dimensions: 120x61x84cm (LxWxH) – Weight-28kg
- Foldable?: No
- Console Display: Time, Speed, Distance, Calories, Hand Pulse, Odometer
- User weight: 100kg
- Flywheel: 2-way, 4Kg
- Dimensions: 140 (L) x 60 (W) x 82cm (H)
- Foldable?: No
- Console Display: Time, Speed, Distance, Heart rate, Calories.
- Max User weight: 90kg
- Flywheel: ‘equivalent to 8Kg’
- Dimensions: 97cm (length) x 57cm (width) x 90cm (height)
Folded dimensions: 46cm (length) x 57cm (width) x 124cm (height)
- Weight: 18.8 kg
- Foldable?: Yes
- Console Display: Time, Speed, Distance, Calories
- Max user weight: 130Kg
- Flywheel: 9Kg
- Dimensions: 66 x 165 m x 102 cm
- Weight: 49Kg
- Foldable: No
- Console Display: Time, Speed, Dstance, Calories, Pedalling speed, Current Date & Time
- Resistance: Magnetic – 16 levels, 12 programmes, 4-person memory
- Heart-rate measurement: Built-in pulse sensors; optional extra – wireless chest strap.
- Max User weight: 160kg
- Flywheel: 9Kg Dimensions: 150(L) x 66(W)x 136(H)
- Foldable?: No
- Console Display (Colour, 5 inch): Time, Speed, Distance, Calories, Pulse, Programmes, User Profile
RECUMBENT EXERCISE BIKE COMPARISON TABLE
Below is a table summarising the products mentioned above with some additional information.
TIP: Hover over the model name for the current price on Amazon – this is often less than the list price so you can see how much you’re saving.
|XS Sports Magnetic Recumbent Seated Exercise Bike||N/A|
|JLL RE100 Recumbent Home Exercise Bike.||N/A|
|Tecnovita by BH REC BIKE YF93.||N/A|
|Kettler Premium Recumbent Exercise Bike - Black||N/A|
|JTX Cyclo-5R Recumbent Exercise Bike.||N/A|